Luke 22


Judas Agrees to Betray Jesus

What was approaching? (Verse 1)
Who had approached Jerusalem? (Luke 19-22)
Why were the chief priests and teachers of the law looking for some way to get rid of Jesus? (Verse 2)
Who entered Judas? (verse 3)
Who was Judas? (Verse 3, note: this is chronologically before John 12:3-5 and 13:29)
Who did Judas seek? (Verse 4)
What did they discuss? (Verse 4)
Who was delighted? (Verse 4-5)
What did Judas do? (Verse 6)

The Last Supper

When did Jesus send Peter and John? (Verse 7-8)
What did they ask Jesus? (Verse 9)
What directions did Jesus give? (Verse 10-13)
What would the man be carrying? (Verse 10)
What was the description of the room Jesus said they would be shown? (Verse 12)
Was it just as He had told them? (verse 13)
What did Peter and John do? (Verse 13)
What did Jesus say as He and the disciples reclined at the table? (Verse 14-22)
“I have __________ desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds ________________ in the kingdom of God.” (verses 15-16)
When did Jesus give thanks? (Verse 17, 19)
“Take this and divide it among you. For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” (verses 17-18)
"And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in ________________ of me.” (verse 19)
What did Jesus do after supper? (Verse 20-38)
What did Jesus do as he took the cup? (Verse 20-22)
What did Jesus say was on the table? (Verse 21)
How does Jesus say the Son of man will go? (Verse 22)
Who does Jesus say woe to? (Verse 22)
When did the disciples begin to question among themselves which of them it might be? (Verse 20-23)
What also arose among them? (Verse 24)
What does Jesus say to them? (Verse 25-30)
“The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But ______ ___________ among you as one who serves. You are those who have stood by me in my trials. And I confer on you a kingdom, just as my Father conferred one on me, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel." - (verse 24-30)
“Simon, Simon, Satan has _________________ to sift all of you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.” (verse 31-32) 
How many times does Jesus say Simon? (Verse 31-32)
What did Jesus say Satan asked for? (Verse 31)
Who did Jesus pray for? (Verse 31-32)
Why did Jesus pray for Simon? (Verse 31-32)
What are the interactions that happen in verses 33-39?
But he replied, “Lord, I am _________ to go with you to prison and to death.” (verse 33)
Jesus answered, “I tell you, Peter, __________ the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me.” (verse 34)
Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” 
“_____________,” they answered. (Verse 35)
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is __________ its fulfillment.” (verse 36-37)
The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two ____________.”
“That’s enough!” he replied. (Verse 38)

Jesus Prays on the Mount of Olives


Where did Jesus usually go? (Verse 39)
Who went with Jesus? (Verse 39)
On reaching the place, what did Jesus say to them? (Verse 40)
Where was Jesus when he prayed? (Verse 41)
What posture did Jesus take when he prayed? (verse 41)
How did Jesus pray? (Verse 41-42)
Who came from heaven? (Verse 43)
What did the one coming from heaven do? (Verse 43)
What was Jesus doing? (Verse 41-44)
How did Jesus find his disciples when he rose from prayer? (Verse 45)
What does Jesus ask his disciples? (Verse 46)
What does He say to his disciples? (Verse 46)

Jesus Arrested

While he was still speaking a crowd came up, and the man who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him, but Jesus asked him, “Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?”
When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?” And one of them struck the ___________ of the ________ _________, cutting off his _____________ __________. 
But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him.
Then Jesus said to the chief priests, the officers of the temple guard, and the elders, who had come for him, “Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come with swords and clubs? Every day I was with you in the temple courts, and you did not lay a hand on me. But this is your hour—when darkness reigns.” (verse 47-53)

Peter Disowns Jesus

Where did they take Jesus to? (verse 54)
Where was Peter? (verse 54-55)
Who saw Peter and said something about him? (verse 56)
What does Peter say first? (Verse 57)
Who does Jesus reply to next? (Verse 58)
When does another say something to Peter? (Verse 59)
What happened as Peter was speaking? (verse 60)
Who looked straight at Peter? (Verse 61)
What did Peter do? (Verse 62)

The Guards Mock Jesus

What did the men who were guarding Jesus begin to do? (Verse 63)
What is one specific thing they did? (Verse 64)
Was this the only thing they did to Jesus? (Verse 65)

Jesus Before Pilate and Herod

When did the the council of the elders of the people, both the chief priests and the teachers of the law, meet together?
Who was led before them? (Verse 66)
What do they say to Jesus? (Verse 67)
How does Jesus answer them and what does he say about the Son of Man? (Verse 67-69)
How does Jesus answer when they ask, “Are you then the Son of God?” (verse 70)
What did they say they heard from Jesus? (Verse 66-71)

Correlation
Isaiah, Jeremiah
Psalms, Proverbs

Interpretation
Which city was this? (verse 10) (Luke 19-22)
Who did Jesus not send to prepare the passover? 
When would Judas go seek others out? 

Thoughts
Humility- 

Luke 22:27
"For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves."

"Humility [N] [T] [E]
Biblical humility is grounded in the character of God. The Father stoops down to help the poor and needy ( Psalm 113:4-9 ;  138:6-7 ); the incarnate Son exhibits humility from the manger to the cross ( Matt 11:29 ;  Acts 8:32-33 ;  Php 2:5-8 ). The dual usage of "meek" (Gk. praus [prau?"]) and "humble (tapeinos [tapeinov"] "low") in heart" in Matthew 11:29 emphasizes Christ's humility before humankind, whom he came to serve ( Matt 20:28 ;  Mark 10:45 ;  Luke 22:27 ) and his submission before God. Humility and meekness are often inseparable ( 2 Cor 10:1 ;  Eph 4:2 ;  Cor 3:12 ).
As a sign of genuine religion ( Mic 6:8 ) humility is necessary to enter God's kingdom ( Matt 5:3 ;  18:1-4 ) or to be great in it ( Matt 20:26-27 ;  Mark 10:43-44 ). As the absence of self ( Matt 10:38-39 ;  Luke 9:23-25 ), it is a bankruptcy of spirit ( Matt 5:3 ) that accrues no merit but depends solely on God's righteousness for salvation ( Luke 18:9-14  Luke 18:15-17 ). It may involve praying ( 2 Chron 7:14 ;  Dan 6:10 ; 9:3-20 ), fasting ( Lev 16:29-32 ;  23:27-32 ;  Ezra 8:21  Ezra 8:23 ;  Psalm 35:13 ;  Daniel 10:1-3  Daniel 10:12 ), and falling prostrate ( Ezek 1:28;  Dan 6:10 ;  Rev 1:12-17 ) before the Lord. Since the Lord denounces hypocritical worship ( Isa 58:3-7 ;  Matthew 6:5-8  Matthew 6:16-18 ) and false humility ( Colossians 2:18  Colossians 2:23 ), a person's heart must match his or her posture ( Isa 57:15 ;  Luke 18:9-14 ; cf.  Isa 6:5 ;  Matt 11:29 ).
Humility is the prerequisite for honor ( Prov 15:33 ;  18:12 ;  22:4 ;  29:23 ) and physical blessing ( Psalm 37:11 ;  Matt 5:5 ). Intimately associated with the fear of the Lord ( Psalms 25:9  Psalms 25:12-14 ;  Prov 15:33 ), it may provide the key to wealth and life ( Prov 22:4 ); but even when blessings are postponed, a humble spirit is necessary ( Prov 16:18-19 ; cf.  Romans 12:14  Romans 12:16-17 ). It is the gateway to eternal life ( Matt 5:3 ;  18:1-4 ), not necessarily physical reward (5:10-12).
God gives grace to the humble (or afflicted) but resists the proud ( Prov 3:34 ;  James 4:6 ;  1 Peter 5:5 ). Regardless of social or moral position ( Luke 1:48  Luke 1:52-54 ; cf.  Psalm 51:16-17 ), God often delivers people who humble themselves before him whether righteous kings ( 2 Chron 32:24-26 ;  34:26-28 ), wicked rulers ( 1 Kings 21:27-29 ;  2 Chron 33:12-13 ), or commoners ( 2 Ch 30:8-11 ).
The Lord exalts the humble ( Matt 23:12 ;  Luke 1:52 ;  14:11 ;  18:14 ;  James 4:10 ) in his proper timing ( 1 Peter 5:6 ). A person must not claim honor for self ( Prov 25:6-7 ;  Luke 14:7-11 ) but have an unassuming attitude ( Rom 12:3 ). Jesus' teaching and life illustrate this perfectly. He humbled himself as a servant ( John 13:1-16 ), even unto death ( Isa 53:7-8 ; Acts 8:32-33 ) in obedience to the Father ( Php 2:5-8 ), who highly exalted him (vv. 9-11).
The Lord rewards the humble with wisdom ( Prov 11:2 ). He does not ignore the plight of the humble and contrite ( Isaiah 66:2  Isaiah 66:5) but encourages the lowly and afflicted of heart ( Isa 57:15 ;  2 Cor 7:6 ).
The Christian ought to emulate Christ's example ( Matt 11:28-30 ;  2 Cor 10:1 ) of meekness and humility. Humility is the foremost test of a truly great person or leader ( Luke 22:24-27 ). Paul's teachings and life ( Acts 20:18-21 ) emphasize and elucidate Christian humility. Recognizing he was the chief sinner ( 1 Tim 1:15 ) and the least saint and apostle ( 1 Cor 15:9 ;  Eph 3:8 ) he gloried in the grace of God ( 1 Cor 15:10 ; cf.  2 Cor 12:9-10 ) and in the cross of Christ ( Gal 6:14 ; cf.  1 Cor 1:18-2:5 ) rather than self-righteousness ( Php 3:3-9 )."
Greg W. Parsons
Bibliography. J. Knox Chamblin, Paul and the Self: Apostolic Teaching for Personal Wholeness; H.-H. Esser, NIDNTT, 2:256-64; F. S. Fitzsimmons, New Bible Dictionary, p. 500; R. E. O. White, EDT, p. 537.

Psalm 113:4-9

4 The LORD is exalted over all the nations, his glory above the heavens. 5 Who is like the LORD our God, the One who sits enthroned on high, 6 who stoops down to look on the heavens and the earth? 7 He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap; 8 he seats them with princes, with the princes of his people. 9 He settles the childless woman in her home as a happy mother of children. Praise the LORD.


Psalm 138:6-7

Though the Lord is exalted, he looks kindly on the lowly;
though lofty, he sees them from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
you preserve my life.
You stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes;
with your right hand you save me.


Matthew 11:29

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, 
for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.

Acts 8:32-33

This is the passage of Scripture the eunuch was reading:
"He was led like a sheep to the slaughter,
and as a lamb before its shearer is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
In his humiliation he was deprived of justice.
Who can speak of his descendants?
For his life was taken from the earth."

Philippians 2:5-8

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death-
even death on a cross!

Matthew 20:28
"Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many."
(note: The full passage is worth reading)

Mark 10:45
"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve and give his life as a ransom for many."
(note: The full passage is worth reading)

Luke 22:27
"For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves."

2 Corinthians 10:1
"By the humility and gentleness of Christ, I appeal to you- I, Paul, who am "timid" when face to face with you, but "bold" toward you when away!

Ephesians 4:2
"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."

Colossians 3:12
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

Micah 6:8
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

Matthew 5:3
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Mark 10:43-44
Not so with you. Instead whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all.

Matthew 10:38-39
Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

Luke 9:23-25
Then he said to them all: "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self?

Matthew 5:3
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Luke 18:9-14
To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people- robbers, evildoers, adulterers- or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.' 
But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ' God have mercy on me, a sinner.'
"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

Luke 18:15-17
People were also bringing babies to Jesus for him to place his hands on them. When the disciples saw this, they rebuked them.
But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not under them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."

2 Chronicles 7:14
if my people who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Daniel 6:10
Now when Daniel learned that the decree had been published, he went home to his upstairs room where the windows opened toward Jerusalem.
Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before.

Daniel 9:3-20
So I turned to the Lord God and pleaded with him in prayer and petition, in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes.
I prayed to the Lord my God and confessed:
Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and keeps his commandments, we have sinned and done wrong. We have been wicked and have rebelled; we have turned away from your commands and laws. 
We have not listened to your servants the prophets, who spoke in your name to our kings, our princes and our ancestors, and to all the people of the land.
"Lord, you are righteous, but this day we are covered with shame- the people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem and all Israel, both near and far, in all the countries where you have scattered us because of our unfaithfulness to you.
We and our kinds our princess and our ancestors are covered with shame, LORD, because we have sinned against you. The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him; we have not obeyed the LORD our God or kept the laws he gave us through his servants the prophets. All Israel has transgressed your law and turned away, refusing to obey you.
Therefore the curses and sworn judgements written in the Law of Moses, the servant of God, have been poured out on us, because we have sinned against you. You have fulfilled the words spoken against us and against our rulers by bringing on us great disaster.
Under the whole heaven nothing has ever been done like what has been done to Jerusalem. Just as it is written in the Law of Moses, all disaster has come on us, yet we have not sought the favor of the

Leviticus 16:29-32
This is to be a lasting ordinance for you: On the tenth day of the seventh month you must deny yourselves and not do any work- whether native-born or foreigner residing among you- because on this day atonement will be made for you, to cleanse you. Then, before the LORD, you will be clean from all your sins. It is a day of sabbath rest, and you must deny yourselves; it is a lasting ordinance. The priest who is anointed and ordained to succeed his father as high priest is to make atonement. He is to put on the sacred linen garments.


Leviticus 23:27-32
The tenth day of this seventh month is the Day of Atonement. Hold a sacred assembly and deny yourselves, and present a food offering to the LORD. Do not do any work on that day, because it is the Day of Atonement, when atonement is made for you before the LORD your God. Those who do not deny themselves on that day must be cut off from their people. I will destroy from among their people anyone who does any work on that day. You shall do no work at all. This is to be a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live. It is a day of sabbath rest for you, and you must deny yourselves. From the evening of the ninth day of the month until the following evening you are to observe your sabbath.

Ezra 8:21
There, by the Ahaha Canal, I proclaimed a fast, so that we might humble ourselves before our God and ask him for a safe journey for us and our children, with all our possessions.

Ezra 8:23
So we fasted and petitioned our God about this, and he answered our prayer.

Psalm 35:13
Yet when they were ill, I put on sackcloth
and humbled myself with fasting.
When my prayers returned to me unanswered,

Daniel 10:1-3
In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia, a revelation was given to Daniel (who was called Belteshazzar). Its message was true and it concerned a great war. The understanding of the message came to him in a vision.
At the time I, Daniel, mourned for three weeks. I ate no choice food; no meat or wine touched my lips; and I used no lotions at all until the three weeks were over.

Daniel 10:12
Then he continued, "Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set gourmand to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them.

Ezekiel 1:28
Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him.
This was the appearance of the likeness of glory of the LORD. When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking.

Daniel 6:10
Now when Daniel learned that the decree had been published, he went home to his upstairs room where the windows opened toward Jerusalem. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had one before.

Revelation 1:12-17
I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lamp stands, and among the lamp stands was someone like a son of man, dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters.
In his right hand he held seven stars, and coming out of his mouth was a sharp, double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.
When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last."

Isaiah 58:3-7
'Why have we fasted,' they say,
'and you have not seen it?
Why have we humbled ourselves,
and you have not noticed?'

"Yet on the day of your fasting, you do as you please
and exploit all your workers.
Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife,
and in striking each other with wicked fists.
You cannot fast as you do today
and expect your voice to be heard on high.
Is this the kind of fast I have chosen,
only a day for people to humble themselves?
Is it only for bowing one's head like a reed and for lying in sackcloth and ashes?
Is that what you call a fast,
a day acceptable to the LORD?

Is not this ind of fasting I have choses:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter-
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?


Matthew 6:5-8

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for the love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Matthew 6:16-18
When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Colossians 2:18

Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you. Such a person also goes into great detail about what they have seen; they are puffed up with idle notions by their unspiritual mind.

Colossians 2:23

Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

Isaiah 57:15

For this is what the high and exalted One says-
he who lives forever, whose name is holy:
"I live in a high and holy place,
but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit,
to revive the spirit of the lowly
and to revive the heart of the contrite.

Luke 18:9-14

To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: "Two meant went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people- robbers, evildoers, adulterers- or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.
But the tax collector stood at a distance, He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'
"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

Isaiah 6:5
"Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty."

Matthew 11:29
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Proverbs 15:33
Wisdom's instruction is to fear the Lord,
and humility comes before honor.

Proverbs 18:12
Before a downfall the heart is haughty,
but humility comes before honor.

Proverbs 22:4
Humility is the fear of the Lord;
its wages are riches and honor and life.

Proverbs 29:23
Pride brings a person low,
but the lowly in spirit gain honor.

Psalm 37:11
But the meek will inherit the land
and enjoy peace and prosperity.

Matthew 5:5
Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.

Psalm 25:9
He guides the humble in what is right
and teaches them his way.

Psalm 25:12-14
Who, then, are those who fear the Lord?
He will instruct them in the ways they should choose.
They will spend their days in prosperity,
and their descendants will inherit the land.
The Lord confides in those who fear him;
he makes his covenant known to them.

Proverbs 15:33
Wisdom's instruction is to fear the Lord,
and humility comes before honor.

Proverbs 22:4
Humility is the fear of the Lord;
its wages are riches and honor and life.

Proverbs 16:18-19
Pride goes before destruction,
a haughty spirit before a fall.
Better to be lowly in spirit along with the oppressed
than to share plunder with the proud.

Romans 12:14
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.

Romans 12:16-17
Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.

Matthew 5:3
Blessed are the poor in spirit
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 18:1-4
At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"
He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 5:10-12
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Proverbs 3:34
He mocks proud mockers
but shows favor to the humble and oppressed.

James 4:6
But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
"God opposes the proud
but shows favor to the humble."

1 Peter 5:5
In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,
"God opposes the proud
but shows favor to the humble."

Luke 1:48
for he has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,

Luke 1:52-54
He has brought down rulers from their thrones
but has lifted up the humble.
He has filled the hungry with good things
but has sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
remembering to be merciful

Psalm 51:16-17
You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart
you, God, will not despise.

2 Chronicles 32:24-26
In those days Hezekiah became ill and was at the point of death. He prayed to the Lord, who answered him and gave him a miraculous sign. But Hezekiah's heart was proud and he did not respond to the kindness shown him; therefore the Lord's wrath was on him and on Judah and Jerusalem. Then Hezekiah repented of the pride of his heart, as did the people of Jerusalem; therefore the Lord's wrath did not come on them during the days of Hezekiah.

2 Chronicles 34:26-28
Tell the king of Judah, who sent you to inquire of the Lord, 'This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says concerning the words you heard: Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before God when you heard what he spoke against this place and its people, and because you humbled yourself before me and tore your robes and wept in my presence, I have heard you, declares the Lord. Now I will gather you to your ancestors, and you will be buried in peace. Your eyes will not see all the disaster I am going to bring on this place and on those who live here."
So they took her answer back to the king.

1 Kings 21:27:29
When Ahab heard these words, he tore his clothes, put on sackcloth and fasted. He lay in sackcloth and went around meekly.
Then the word of the Lord came to Elijah the Tishbite; "Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself, I will not bring this disaster in his day, but I will bring it on his house in the days of his son."

2 Chronicles 33:12-13
In his distress he sought the favor of the Lord his God and humbled himself greatly before the God if his Anvestors. And when he prayed to him, the Lord was moved by his entreaty and listened to his plea; so he brought him back to Jerusalem and to his kingdom. Then Manasseh knew that the Lord is God.

2 Chronicles 30:8-11
Do not be stiff-necked, as your ancestors were submit to the Lord, Come to his sanctuary, which he has consecrated forever. Serve the Lord your God, so that his fierce anger will turn away from you. If you return to the Lord, then your fellow Israelites and your children will be shown compassion by their captors and will return to this land, for the Lord of God is gracious and compassionate. He will not turn his face from your if you return to him."
The couriers went from town to town in Ephraim and Manasseh, as far as Zebulun, but people scorned and ridiculed them. Neverbtheless, some from Asher, Manasseh and Zebulun humbled themselves and went to Jerusalem.

Matthew 23:12
For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

Luke 1:52
He has brought down rulers from their thrones
but has lifted up the humble.

Luke 14:11
"For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

Luke 18:14
"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

James 4:10
"Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up."

1 Peter 5:6
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.

Proverbs 25:6-7
Do not exalt yourself in the king's presence,
and do not claim a place among his great men;
it is better for him to say to you, "Come up here,"
than for him to humiliate you before his nobel.
What you have seen with your eyes

Luke 14:7-11
When he noticed how the guests picked the places of honor at the table, he told them this parable: "When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited. If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, 'Give this person your seat.' Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place. But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, 'Friend, move up to a better place.' Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

Romans 12:3
For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.

John 13:1-16
It was just before the Passover Festival. Jesus knew that the hour had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.
The evening meal was in progress, and the devil had already prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus. Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.
He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Lord, are you going to wash my feet?"
Jesus replied, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later your will understand."
"No," said Peter,"you shall never wash my feet."
Jesus answered, "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me."
"Then, Lord," Simon Peter replied, "not just my feet bt my hands and my head as well!"
Jesus answered, "Those who have had a bath need only to wash their feet; their whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you." For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean.
When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place.
Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet. you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.

Isaiah 53:7-8
He was oppressed and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
By oppression and judgment he was taken away.
Yet who of his generation protested?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;
for the transgression of my people he was punished.

Acts 8:32-33
This is the passage of Scripture the eunuch was reading:
"He was led like a sheep to the slaughter,
and as a lamb before its shearer is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
In his humiliation he was deprived of justice.
Who can speak of his descendants?
For his life was taken from the earth."

Philippians 2:5-8
In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
Who, being in the very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
and being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death-
even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above very name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and earth and under the earth,
and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

Proverbs 11:2
When pride comes, then comes disgrace,
but with humility comes wisdom.

Isaiah 66:2
Has not my hand made all these things,
and so they came into being?"
declares the Lord.
"These are the ones I look on with favor:
those who are humble and contrite in spirit,
and who tremble at my word.

Isaiah 66:5
Hear the word of the Lord
you who tremble at his word:
Your own people who hate you,
and exclude you because of my name, have said,
'Let the Lord be glorified,
that we may see your joy!'
Yet they will be put to shame.

Isaiah 57:15
For this is what the high and exalted One says-
he who lives forever, whose name is holy:
"I live in a high and holy place,
but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit,
to revive the spirit of the lowly
and to revive the heart of the contrite.

2 Corinthians 7:6
But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus,

Matthew 11:28-30
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."


2 Corinthians 10:1
By the humility and gentleness of Christ, I appeal to you- I, Paul, who am "timid" when face to face with you, but "bold" toward you when away!

Luke 22:24-27
A dispute also arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest.
Jesus said to them, "The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. But you are not tone like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.

Acts 20:18-21
When they arrived, he said to them: "You know how I lived the while time I was with you, from the first day I came into the province of Asia. I served the Lord with great humility and with tears and in the midst of severe testing by the plots of my Jewish opponents. You know that I have not hesitated to preach anything that would be helpful to you but have taught you publicly and from house to house. I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus.

1 Timothy 1:15
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners- of whom I am the worst.

1 Corinthians 15:9
For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God

Ephesians 3:8
Although I am less than the least of all the Lord's people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ,

1 Corinthians 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them- yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties, For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Galatians 6:14
May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

1 Corinthians 1:18:2:5
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God, For it is written:
"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."
Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the Wisdom of God the world though its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to the Jews and foolishness to the Gentiles, but those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.
Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God those the lowly things of this world and the despised things- and the things that are not- to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus , who has become for us wisdom from God- that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: "Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord."
And so it was with me, brothers and sisters. When I came to you, I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom and I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God's power.

Philippians 3:3-9
For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh- though I myself have reasons for such confidence.
If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more:
circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless.
But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ- the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith.


Application
be humble
 “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.”


Luke 22New International Version (NIV)

Judas Agrees to Betray Jesus

22 Now the Festival of Unleavened Bread, called the Passover, was approaching,and the chief priests and the teachers of the law were looking for some way to get rid of Jesus, for they were afraid of the people. Then Satan entered Judas, called Iscariot, one of the Twelve. And Judas went to the chief priests and the officers of the temple guard and discussed with them how he might betray Jesus.They were delighted and agreed to give him money. He consented, and watched for an opportunity to hand Jesus over to them when no crowd was present.

The Last Supper

Then came the day of Unleavened Bread on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, “Go and make preparations for us to eat the Passover.”
“Where do you want us to prepare for it?” they asked.
10 He replied, “As you enter the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him to the house that he enters, 11 and say to the owner of the house, ‘The Teacher asks: Where is the guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?’ 12 He will show you a large room upstairs, all furnished. Make preparations there.”
13 They left and found things just as Jesus had told them. So they prepared the Passover.
14 When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. 15 And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.16 For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.”
17 After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among you. 18 For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”
19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”
20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.[a] 21 But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table. 22 The Son of Man will go as it has been decreed. But woe to that man who betrays him!” 23 They began to question among themselves which of them it might be who would do this.
24 A dispute also arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest. 25 Jesus said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. 26 But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. 27 For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves. 28 You are those who have stood by me in my trials. 29 And I confer on you a kingdom, just as my Father conferred one on me, 30 so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
31 “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.”
33 But he replied, “Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death.”
34 Jesus answered, “I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me.”
35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”
“Nothing,” they answered.
36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’[b]; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”
38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”
“That’s enough!” he replied.

Jesus Prays on the Mount of Olives

39 Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him.40 On reaching the place, he said to them, “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.” 41 He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” 43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him.44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.[c]
45 When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow. 46 “Why are you sleeping?” he asked them. “Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.”

Jesus Arrested

47 While he was still speaking a crowd came up, and the man who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him,48 but Jesus asked him, “Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?”
49 When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?” 50 And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.
51 But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him.
52 Then Jesus said to the chief priests, the officers of the temple guard, and the elders, who had come for him, “Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come with swords and clubs? 53 Every day I was with you in the temple courts, and you did not lay a hand on me. But this is your hour—when darkness reigns.”

Peter Disowns Jesus

54 Then seizing him, they led him away and took him into the house of the high priest. Peter followed at a distance. 55 And when some there had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and had sat down together, Peter sat down with them.56 A servant girl saw him seated there in the firelight. She looked closely at him and said, “This man was with him.”
57 But he denied it. “Woman, I don’t know him,” he said.
58 A little later someone else saw him and said, “You also are one of them.”
“Man, I am not!” Peter replied.
59 About an hour later another asserted, “Certainly this fellow was with him, for he is a Galilean.”
60 Peter replied, “Man, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. 61 The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: “Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times.” 62 And he went outside and wept bitterly.

The Guards Mock Jesus

63 The men who were guarding Jesus began mocking and beating him. 64 They blindfolded him and demanded, “Prophesy! Who hit you?” 65 And they said many other insulting things to him.

Jesus Before Pilate and Herod

66 At daybreak the council of the elders of the people, both the chief priests and the teachers of the law, met together, and Jesus was led before them. 67 “If you are the Messiah,” they said, “tell us.”
Jesus answered, “If I tell you, you will not believe me, 68 and if I asked you, you would not answer. 69 But from now on, the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the mighty God.”
70 They all asked, “Are you then the Son of God?”
He replied, “You say that I am.”
71 Then they said, “Why do we need any more testimony? We have heard it from his own lips.”

Footnotes:

  1. Luke 22:20 Some manuscripts do not have given for you … poured out for you.
  2. Luke 22:37 Isaiah 53:12
  3. Luke 22:44 Many early manuscripts do not have verses 43 and 44.

Comments

Popular Posts