Jonah 2
Jonah’s Prayer
1 Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from the stomach of the fish,
2 and said,
“I called out of my trouble and distress to the Lord,
And He answered me;
Out of the belly of Sheol I cried for help,
And You heard my voice.
3
“For You cast me into the deep,
Into the [deep] heart of the seas,
And the currents surrounded and engulfed me;
All Your breakers and billowing waves passed over me.
4
“Then I said, ‘I have been cast out of Your sight.
Nevertheless I will look again toward Your holy temple.’
5
“The waters surrounded me, to the point of death.
The great deep engulfed me,
Seaweed was wrapped around my head.
6
“I descended to the [very] roots of the mountains.
The earth with its bars closed behind me [bolting me in] forever,
Yet You have brought up my life from the pit (death), O Lord my God.
7
“When my soul was fainting within me,
I remembered the Lord,
And my prayer came to You,
Into Your holy temple.
8
“Those who regard and follow worthless idols
[a]Turn away from their [living source of] mercy and lovingkindness.
9
“But [as for me], I will sacrifice to You
With the voice of thanksgiving;
I shall pay that which I have vowed.
Salvation is from the Lord!”
And He answered me;
Out of the belly of Sheol I cried for help,
And You heard my voice.
3
“For You cast me into the deep,
Into the [deep] heart of the seas,
And the currents surrounded and engulfed me;
All Your breakers and billowing waves passed over me.
4
“Then I said, ‘I have been cast out of Your sight.
Nevertheless I will look again toward Your holy temple.’
5
“The waters surrounded me, to the point of death.
The great deep engulfed me,
Seaweed was wrapped around my head.
6
“I descended to the [very] roots of the mountains.
The earth with its bars closed behind me [bolting me in] forever,
Yet You have brought up my life from the pit (death), O Lord my God.
7
“When my soul was fainting within me,
I remembered the Lord,
And my prayer came to You,
Into Your holy temple.
8
“Those who regard and follow worthless idols
[a]Turn away from their [living source of] mercy and lovingkindness.
9
“But [as for me], I will sacrifice to You
With the voice of thanksgiving;
I shall pay that which I have vowed.
Salvation is from the Lord!”
10 So the Lord commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah up onto the dry land.
Footnotes:
- Jonah 2:8 Lit Forsake.
Observation Questions (questions that can be answered using only the text)
Jonah 2
Jonah’s Prayer
When did Jonah pray? (Jonah 1, Jonah 2:1)
Who did Jonah pray to? (verse 1)
Where was Jonah praying from? (verse 1)
What did Jonah pray? (verse 2-9)
Who commanded the fish? (verse 10)
What did the fish do? (verse 10)
Where was Jonah after the fish did this? (verse 10)
Interpretation (through NT correlation)
Where is salvation from? (verse 9)
Why/when did the Lord command the fish? (verse 10)
Correlation
Jonah 2:2 & Psalm 34:4
Jonah 2:3 & Psalm 42:7
Jonah 2:4 & Psalm 22:1, Matthew 27:46, Mark 15:14, Matthew 27:51, Mark 15:38, Luke 23:45, 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Jonah 2:6 & Isaiah 53:2, Revelation 5:5, Hebrews 12:18, Matthew 27:60, Matthew 28:2, Mark 15:46, Mark 16:4, Luke 24:2
Jonah 2:7 & Ruth 4:15, 1 Samuel 1:10, 1 Samuel 2:1, Genesis 25:21, Job 42:10, Psalm 23:3, Genesis 12:2, Genesis 13:16, Genesis 17:5, Genesis 17:6, Genesis 17:20, Genesis 21:13, Genesis 24:40, Genesis 24:42, Genesis 26:4, Genesis 32:9, Genesis 32:12, Genesis 46:3, Genesis 48:4, Genesis 48:20, Exodus 11:7, Exodus 20:24-25, Exodus 23:27, Exodus 23:33, Exodus 25:37
Isaiah 40:28-31
Jonah 2:8 & Psalm 109:21, Psalm 24:5-6, Psalm 27:8, Psalm 28:9
Jonah 2:9 & Joshua 24:15, 24:26
Comments
Post a Comment