2 Corinthians 1 - For all the promises of God find their Yes in him, Jesus Christ

Greeting

How does Paul greet the Church of God that is at Corinth, with all the saints who are in the whole of Achaea? (verse 1-2)

God of All Comfort

How is God named in verse 3-4? 
Why does God comfort us in all our affliction? (verse 4)
How do we comfort those who are in any affliction? (verse 4)
How shall we share abundantly in Christ's comfort? (verse 5)
When do you experience comfort? (verse 6)
Why is hop for the church unshaken? (verse 7)
What kind of affliction did Paul experience in Asia? (verse 8-9)
What was the purpose of the affliction? (verse 8-9)
Where has hope in deliverance been set? (verse 10)
Why must the church help by prayer? (verse 11)

Paul's Change of Plans

What is the boast of Paul? (verse 12)
How did they behave in the world? (verse 12)
Did they behave by earthly wisdom? (verse 12)
Did they behave by the grace of God? (verse 12)
Did Paul decide to write anything mysterious that would not be understood by those reading it? (verse 13)
When will there be boasting? (verse 14)
What will there be boasting of? (verse 14) 
Why did Paul want to come to the church first? (verse 15)
When did Paul want to visit them? (verse 16)
Was Paul vacillating when he wanted to visit? (verse 17)
What does making plans according to the flesh look like? (verse 17)
Who is faithful? (verse 18) 
Who was proclaimed among the church by Silvans, Timothy, and Paul? (verse 19)
In Christ, what is the answer always? (verse 19)
Do all the promises of God find their Yes in him? (verse 20)
How are we established with each other? (verse 21)
Who has anointed us? (verse 21)
Who has put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee? (Verse 21-22)
Who does Paul call to witness against himself? (verse 23)
Why did Paul refrain from coming again to Corinth? (verse 23)
Why does Paul work with the church of Corinth? (verse 24)
How does the church stand? (verse 24)


Thoughts

As surely as God is faithful, our word to you has not been Yes and No. - verse 18

2 Timothy 2:13 

if we are faithless, he remains faithful—
for he cannot deny himself.

James 5:12 

But above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath, but let your “yes” be yes and your “no” be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation.



"just as you did partially understand us—that on the day of our Lord Jesus you will boast of us as we will boast of you." - verse 14

Jeremiah 9:24 

"but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.”

Was I vacillating when I wanted to do this? Do I make my plans according to the flesh, ready to say “Yes, yes” and “No, no” at the same time? - verse 17

vac·il·late
ˈvasəˌlāt/
verb
gerund or present participle: vacillating
  1. alternate or waver between different opinions or actions; be indecisive.

    "I had for a time vacillated between teaching and journalism"
    synonyms:ditherwaver, be indecisive, be undecided, be ambivalent, hesitate, be of two minds, blow hot and cold, keep changing one's mind, be conflicted; 
    fluctuateoscillate, hem and haw; 
    informaldilly-dallyshilly-shally
    "I vacillated between teaching and journalism"

As surely as God is faithful, our word to you has not been Yes and No. - verse 18
 For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, whom we proclaimed among you, Silvanus and Timothy and I, was not Yes and No, but in him it is always Yes. - verse 19
 For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory. - verse 20
For all the promises of God find their Yes in him(Jesus Christ). - verse 20
That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory. - verse 20

The promises of God reveal his particular and eternal purposes to which he is unchangeably committed and upon which believers can totally depend. 

Are these promises conditional upon obedience on the part of believers?

God’s promises are irrevocable

He is absolutely trustworthy Nu 23:19 See also Tit 1:2Heb 6:13-18
He is unchanging Ps 110:4Mal 3:6-7Jas 1:17-18
He has the power and will to fulfil his promises Isa 55:11 See also Ro 4:21
He is faithful in keeping all his promises Jos 21:45Jos 23:14-151Ki 8:56Ps 145:13Heb 10:23
His promises stem from his goodness and glory 2Pe 1:3-4
God may confirm his promises with an oath Ge 22:15-18 See also Ge 26:3Isa 45:23Am 6:8Am 8:7

Examples of God’s promises through covenant relationship

Ge 9:8-17 with Noah With Abraham: Ge 15:9-21Ge 17:1-22Heb 11:8-9,17-19
Ge 26:3-4 with Isaac With Jacob: Ge 28:13-15Ge 46:2-4 With Moses and the Israelites: Ex 19:1-6Ex 24:1-8
Nu 25:10-12 with Phinehas With David: 2Sa 7:5-16 pp 1Ch 17:4-141Ki 8:15,24
Jer 31:31-34 with Jeremiah

The grounding of God’s promises in Christ

God’s promises are fulfilled in Jesus Christ 2Co 1:18-20 See also Mt 5:17Lk 4:16-21Ac 2:29-31Ac 3:21-26Ac 7:37Dt 18:15-18Ac 13:23,32-34Ac 26:6-7Ro 1:2-3Ro 15:8Heb 9:15
Jesus Christ brings superior promises through the new covenant Heb 8:6-8 Jesus Christ mediates a covenant of inner transformation, willing obedience, intimate relationship with God and forgiveness of sins forever. See also Eph 1:13-14Heb 7:22Heb 11:13,39-402Pe 1:1-4
Jesus Christ has the right to make promises on God’s behalf Jn 3:34-35 See also Jn 1:1-2,14Jn 8:25-29Heb 1:1-3

God’s promises must be received by believers

They are received by faith Gal 3:22 See also Jn 1:12Ro 4:13-16
They are received by perseverance and obedience Heb 10:36 See also Ro 4:19-242Co 7:1Heb 6:12
God’s promises unite believing Jews and Gentiles Eph 3:6 See also Ac 2:38-39Ro 9:8Gal 3:29Gal 4:28Eph 2:11-18Heb 11:39-40
Disaster awaits those who reject God’s promises Jos 23:12-16Jn 3:18-20,362Ti 2:11-13Heb 6:4-122Pe 3:3-10

Particular promises of God in Christ

The gift of the Holy Spirit Lk 24:49Ac 1:4Ac 2:33Eph 1:13
The fulness of life and eternal life 2Ti 1:1Heb 12:26-28Jas 1:12Jas 2:51Jn 2:25
The forgiveness of sins 1Jn 1:9
The presence of God Ex 3:12Ex 33:14Jos 1:9Isa 58:9Mt 28:20Heb 13:5
The peace of God 1Ch 22:9Ps 85:8Isa 9:6-7Ro 5:1Php 4:4-9
Joy in God Ps 16:11Ps 132:16Jn 16:20-24
The knowledge of God Jer 31:33-34Jn 17:25-261Jn 5:20

The OT foretold and Jesus Christ reaffirmed that the Holy Spirit would be poured out on God’s people, transforming, empowering and gifting them.

OT promises of the Holy Spirit fulfilled in the OT

The promised Spirit enables prophecy 1Sa 10:6 See also 1Sa 10:10
The Spirit fulfils the promised presence of the Lord Ex 33:14 See also Isa 63:11,14Hag 2:5

OT promises of the Holy Spirit fulfilled in the NT

The Spirit implements the promised new covenant Jer 31:33-34 See also Ro 8:2,9-102Co 3:3,6Heb 8:10-11
The promised Spirit will renew Israel Eze 36:26-27 See also Eze 11:19Eze 37:14
The promised Spirit is the guarantee for Israel’s future Isa 44:3 See also Isa 32:15Isa 59:21Eze 39:29
The promised Spirit will empower the life and work of the Messiah Isa 61:1-2 See also Isa 11:2Lk 4:18-19
The Spirit is promised for all people Joel 2:28-29 See also Ac 2:17-18

Promises of the Holy Spirit in the NT

The promise that Jesus Christ would baptise with the Spirit Mt 3:11 pp Mk 1:8 pp Lk 3:16 See also Jn 1:33Ac 1:5Ac 11:16
The Spirit is promised by Jesus Christ Lk 24:49 See also Jn 15:26Jn 16:7-15Ac 1:5-8
The Spirit is promised for the time after Jesus Christ’s resurrection and ascension Jn 7:39 See alsoAc 2:4,33
The promised Spirit fulfils God’s word to Abraham Gal 3:14
The promised Spirit guarantees to believers their future inheritance Eph 1:13-14


Numbers 23:19 

 God is not man, that he should lie,
    or a son of man, that he should change his mind.
Has he said, and will he not do it?
    Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?

Titus 1:2 

 in hope of eternal life, which God, who never lies, promised before the ages began[a]

Footnotes:

  1. Titus 1:2 Greek before times eternal

Hebrews 6:13-18 

For when God made a promise to Abraham, since he had no one greater by whom to swear, he swore by himself, saying, “Surely I will bless you and multiply you.” And thus Abraham,[a] having patiently waited, obtained the promise. For people swear by something greater than themselves, and in all their disputes an oath is final for confirmation. So when God desired to show more convincingly to the heirs of the promise the unchangeable character of his purpose, he guaranteed it with an oath, so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us.

Footnotes:

  1. Hebrews 6:15 Greek he

Psalm 110:4

 The Lord has sworn
    and will not change his mind,
“You are a priest forever
    after the order of Melchizedek.”

Malachi 3:6-7 

 “For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed.  From the days of your fathers you have turned aside from my statutes and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you, says the Lord of hosts. But you say, ‘How shall we return?’
this is how the passage continues- "...Will man rob God? Yet you are robbing me. But you say, ‘How have we robbed you?’ In your tithes and contributions. You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing me, the whole nation of you. Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need. I will rebuke the devourer[b] for you, so that it will not destroy the fruits of your soil, and your vine in the field shall not fail to bear, says the Lord of hosts. Then all nations will call you blessed, for you will be a land of delight, says the Lord of hosts.
“Your words have been hard against me, says the LordBut you say, ‘How have we spoken against you?’ You have said, ‘It is vain to serve God. What is the profit of our keeping his charge or of walking as in mourning before the Lord of hosts? And now we call the arrogant blessed. Evildoers not only prosper but they put God to the test and they escape.’”

The Book of Remembrance

16 Then those who feared the Lord spoke with one another. The Lord paid attention and heard them, and a book of remembrance was written before him of those who feared the Lord and esteemed his name. “They shall be mine, says the Lord of hosts, in the day when I make up my treasured possession, and I will spare them as a man spares his son who serves him. Then once more you shall see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between one who serves God and one who does not serve him.


James 1:17-18 

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.[a] Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

Footnotes:

  1. James 1:17 Some manuscripts variation due to a shadow of turning

Isaiah 55:11 

 so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
    it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
    and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.

This is the context of Isaiah 55:11

Isaiah 55

The Compassion of the Lord

 “Come, everyone who thirsts,
    come to the waters;
and he who has no money,
    come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
    without money and without price.
 Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
    and your labor for that which does not satisfy?
Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,
    and delight yourselves in rich food.
 Incline your ear, and come to me;
    hear, that your soul may live;
and I will make with you an everlasting covenant,
    my steadfast, sure love for David.
 Behold, I made him a witness to the peoples,
    a leader and commander for the peoples.
 Behold, you shall call a nation that you do not know,
    and a nation that did not know you shall run to you,
because of the Lord your God, and of the Holy One of Israel,
    for he has glorified you.
 “Seek the Lord while he may be found;
    call upon him while he is near;
 let the wicked forsake his way,
    and the unrighteous man his thoughts;
let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him,
    and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
 For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
 For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.
 “For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven
    and do not return there but water the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
    giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
 so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
    it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
    and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.
 “For you shall go out in joy
    and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and the hills before you
    shall break forth into singing,
    and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.
 Instead of the thorn shall come up the cypress;
    instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle;
and it shall make a name for the Lord,
    an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.”

Romans 4 

Justified by Faith

What then shall we say was gained by Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh?  For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God.  For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.” Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due. And to the one who does not work but believes in[a] him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness, just as David also speaks of the blessing of the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works:
 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven,
    and whose sins are covered;
 blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin.”
 Is this blessing then only for the circumcised, or also for the uncircumcised? For we say that faith was counted to Abraham as righteousness. How then was it counted to him? Was it before or after he had been circumcised? It was not after, but before he was circumcised. He received the sign of circumcision as a seal of the righteousness that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised. The purpose was to make him the father of all who believe without being circumcised, so that righteousness would be counted to them as well, and to make him the father of the circumcised who are not merely circumcised but who also walk in the footsteps of the faith that our father Abraham had before he was circumcised.

The Promise Realized Through Faith

 For the promise to Abraham and his offspring that he would be heir of the world did not come through the law but through the righteousness of faith. For if it is the adherents of the law who are to be the heirs, faith is null and the promise is void. For the law brings wrath, but where there is no law there is no transgression.
That is why it depends on faith, in order that the promise may rest on grace and be guaranteed to all his offspring—not only to the adherent of the law but also to the one who shares the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, as it is written, “I have made you the father of many nations”—in the presence of the God in whom he believed, who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist. In hope he believed against hope, that he should become the father of many nations, as he had been told, “So shall your offspring be.” He did not weaken in faith when he considered his own body, which was as good as dead (since he was about a hundred years old), or when he considered the barrenness[b]of Sarah's womb. No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. That is why his faith was “counted to him as righteousness.” But the words “it was counted to him” were not written for his sake alone, but for ours also. It will be counted to us who believe in him who raised from the dead Jesus our Lord, who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification.

Footnotes:

  1. Romans 4:5 Or but trusts; compare verse 24
  2. Romans 4:19 Greek deadness

Joshua 21:45

Not one word of all the good promises that the Lord had made to the house of Israel had failed; all came to pass.

Joshua 23:14-15 

 “And now I am about to go the way of all the earth, and you know in your hearts and souls, all of you, that not one word has failed of all the good things[a] that the Lord your God promised concerning you. All have come to pass for you; not one of them has failed. But just as all the good things that the Lord your God promised concerning you have been fulfilled for you, so the Lord will bring upon you all the evil things, until he has destroyed you from off this good land that the Lord your God has given you,

Footnotes:

  1. Joshua 23:14 Or words; also twice in verse 15

1 Kings 8:56 

 “Blessed be the Lord who has given rest to his people Israel, according to all that he promised. Not one word has failed of all his good promise, which he spoke by Moses his servant."

Psalm 145:13

Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom,
    and your dominion endures throughout all generations.
[The Lord is faithful in all his words
    and kind in all his works.][a]

Footnotes:

  1. Psalm 145:13 These two lines are supplied by one Hebrew manuscript, Septuagint, Syriac (compare Dead Sea Scroll)

Hebrews 10:23 

Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful.

2 Peter 1:3-4 

Confirm Your Calling and Election

His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to[a] his own glory and excellence,[b] by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.

Footnotes:

  1. 2 Peter 1:3 Or by
  2. 2 Peter 1:3 Or virtue

Genesis 22:15-18 

And the angel of the Lord called to Abraham a second time from heaven and said, “By myself I have sworn, declares the Lord, because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his[a] enemies, and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice.”

Footnotes:

  1. Genesis 22:17 Or their



Genesis 26:3 

Sojourn in this land, and I will be with you and will bless you, for to you and to your offspring I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath that I swore to Abraham your father.



Isaiah 45:23

 By myself I have sworn;
    from my mouth has gone out in righteousness
    a word that shall not return:
‘To me every knee shall bow,
    every tongue shall swear allegiance.’[a]

Footnotes:

  1. Isaiah 45:23 Septuagint every tongue shall confess to God


Amos 6:8 

 The Lord God has sworn by himself, declares the Lord, the God of hosts:

“I abhor the pride of Jacob
    and hate his strongholds,
    and I will deliver up the city and all that is in it.”

Amos 8:7 

 The Lord has sworn by the pride of Jacob:
“Surely I will never forget any of their deeds.

Genesis 9:8-17 

Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him, “Behold, I establish my covenant with you and your offspring after you, and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the livestock, and every beast of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark; it is for every beast of the earth. I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth.” And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth.When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.” God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant that I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth.”

Genesis 17:1-22 

Abraham and the Covenant of Circumcision

When Abram was ninety-nine years old the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, “I am God Almighty;[a] walk before me, and be blameless, that I may make my covenant between me and you, and may multiply you greatly.” Then Abram fell on his face. And God said to him, “Behold, my covenant is with you, and you shall be the father of a multitude of nations. No longer shall your name be called Abram,[b] but your name shall be Abraham,[c] for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations. I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make you into nations, and kings shall come from you. And I will establish my covenant between me and you and your offspring after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your offspring after you. And I will give to you and to your offspring after you the land of your sojournings, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession, and I will be their God.”
And God said to Abraham, “As for you, you shall keep my covenant, you and your offspring after you throughout their generations. This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your offspring after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised. You shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskins, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and you. He who is eight days old among you shall be circumcised. Every male throughout your generations, whether born in your house or bought with your money from any foreigner who is not of your offspring, both he who is born in your house and he who is bought with your money, shall surely be circumcised. So shall my covenant be in your flesh an everlasting covenant. Any uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.”

Isaac's Birth Promised

And God said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai, but Sarah[d] shall be her name. I will bless her, and moreover, I will give[e]you a son by her. I will bless her, and she shall become nations; kings of peoples shall come from her.” Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed and said to himself, “Shall a child be born to a man who is a hundred years old? Shall Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?” And Abraham said to God, “Oh that Ishmael might live before you!” God said, “No, but Sarah your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac.[f] I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his offspring after him. As for Ishmael, I have heard you; behold, I have blessed him and will make him fruitful and multiply him greatly. He shall father twelve princes, and I will make him into a great nation. But I will establish my covenant with Isaac, whom Sarah shall bear to you at this time next year.”
When he had finished talking with him, God went up from Abraham.

Footnotes:

  1. Genesis 17:1 Hebrew El Shaddai
  2. Genesis 17:5 Abram means exalted father
  3. Genesis 17:5 Abraham means father of a multitude
  4. Genesis 17:15 Sarai and Sarah mean princess
  5. Genesis 17:16 Hebrew have given
  6. Genesis 17:19 Isaac means he laughs

Hebrews 11:8-9 

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise.


Hebrews 11:17-19 

By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was in the act of offering up his only son, of whom it was said, “Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.” He considered that God was able even to raise him from the dead, from which, figuratively speaking, he did receive him back.

Genesis 26:3-4 

Sojourn in this land, and I will be with you and will bless you, for to you and to your offspring I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath that I swore to Abraham your father. I will multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and will give to your offspring all these lands. And in your offspring all the nations of the earth shall be blessed,

Genesis 28:13-15 

And behold, the Lord stood above it[a] and said, “I am the Lord, the God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac. The land on which you lie I will give to you and to your offspring. Your offspring shall be like the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south, and in you and your offspring shall all the families of the earth be blessed. Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”

Footnotes:

  1. Genesis 28:13 Or beside him

Genesis 46:2-4 

And God spoke to Israel in visions of the night and said, “Jacob, Jacob.” And he said, “Here I am.” Then he said, “I am God, the God of your father. Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for there I will make you into a great nation. I myself will go down with you to Egypt, and I will also bring you up again, and Joseph's hand shall close your eyes.”

Exodus 19:1-6 

On the third new moon after the people of Israel had gone out of the land of Egypt, on that day they came into the wilderness of Sinai. They set out from Rephidim and came into the wilderness of Sinai, and they encamped in the wilderness. There Israel encamped before the mountain, while Moses went up to God. The Lord called to him out of the mountain, saying, “Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob, and tell the people of Israel: ‘You yourselves have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself. Now therefore, if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is mine; and you shall be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you shall speak to the people of Israel.”

Exodus 24:1-8

Then he said to Moses, “Come up to the Lord, you and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel, and worship from afar. Moses alone shall come near to the Lord, but the others shall not come near, and the people shall not come up with him.”
Moses came and told the people all the words of the Lord and all the rules.[a] And all the people answered with one voice and said, “All the words that the Lord has spoken we will do.” And Moses wrote down all the words of the Lord. He rose early in the morning and built an altar at the foot of the mountain, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel. And he sent young men of the people of Israel, who offered burnt offerings and sacrificed peace offerings of oxen to the Lord. And Moses took half of the blood and put it in basins, and half of the blood he threw against the altar. Then he took the Book of the Covenant and read it in the hearing of the people. And they said, “All that the Lord has spoken we will do, and we will be obedient.” And Moses took the blood and threw it on the people and said, “Behold the blood of the covenant that the Lord has made with you in accordance with all these words.”

Footnotes:

  1. Exodus 24:3 Or all the just decrees

Numbers 25:10-12 

And the Lord said to Moses, “Phinehas the son of Eleazar, son of Aaron the priest, has turned back my wrath from the people of Israel, in that he was jealous with my jealousy among them, so that I did not consume the people of Israel in my jealousy. Therefore say, ‘Behold, I give to him my covenant of peace,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lofNq0U2xk0

Standing on the Promises



2 Samuel 7:5-16 

“Go and tell my servant David, ‘Thus says the LordWould you build me a house to dwell in? I have not lived in a house since the day I brought up the people of Israel from Egypt to this day, but I have been moving about in a tent for my dwelling. In all places where I have moved with all the people of Israel, did I speak a word with any of the judges[a] of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, saying, “Why have you not built me a house of cedar?”’ Now, therefore, thus you shall say to my servant David, ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts, I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, that you should be prince[b]over my people Israel. And I have been with you wherever you went and have cut off all your enemies from before you. And I will make for you a great name, like the name of the great ones of the earth. And I will appoint a place for my people Israel and will plant them, so that they may dwell in their own place and be disturbed no more. And violent men shall afflict them no more, as formerly, from the time that I appointed judges over my people Israel. And I will give you rest from all your enemies. Moreover, the Lord declares to you that the Lord will make you a house. When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son. When he commits iniquity, I will discipline him with the rod of men, with the stripes of the sons of men, but my steadfast love will not depart from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away from before you. And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me.[c] Your throne shall be established forever.’”

Footnotes:

  1. 2 Samuel 7:7 Compare 1 Chronicles 17:6; Hebrew tribes
  2. 2 Samuel 7:8 Or leader
  3. 2 Samuel 7:16 Septuagint; Hebrew you

1 Chronicles 17:4-14 

“Go and tell my servant David, ‘Thus says the LordIt is not you who will build me a house to dwell in. For I have not lived in a house since the day I brought up Israel to this day, but I have gone from tent to tent and from dwelling to dwelling. In all places where I have moved with all Israel, did I speak a word with any of the judges of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people, saying, “Why have you not built me a house of cedar?”’ Now, therefore, thus shall you say to my servant David, ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts, I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, to be prince over my people Israel, and I have been with you wherever you have gone and have cut off all your enemies from before you. And I will make for you a name, like the name of the great ones of the earth. And I will appoint a place for my people Israel and will plant them, that they may dwell in their own place and be disturbed no more. And violent men shall waste them no more, as formerly,  from the time that I appointed judges over my people Israel. And I will subdue all your enemies. Moreover, I declare to you that the Lord will build you a house. When your days are fulfilled to walk with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring after you, one of your own sons, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for me, and I will establish his throne forever. I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son. I will not take my steadfast love from him, as I took it from him who was before you, but I will confirm him in my house and in my kingdom forever, and his throne shall be established forever.’”


1 Kings 8:15

And he said, “Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, who with his hand has fulfilled what he promised with his mouth to David my father, saying,

Jeremiah 31:31-34 

The New Covenant

“Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the LordI will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”






2 Corinthians 1 English Standard Version (ESV)

Greeting

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,
To the church of God that is at Corinth, with all the saints who are in the whole of Achaia:
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

God of All Comfort

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.[a] If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer. Our hope for you is unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort.
For we do not want you to be unaware, brothers,[b] of the affliction we experienced in Asia. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead. 10 He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will deliver us again. 11 You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of many.

Paul's Change of Plans

12 For our boast is this, the testimony of our conscience, that we behaved in the world with simplicity[c] and godly sincerity, not by earthly wisdom but by the grace of God, and supremely so toward you. 13 For we are not writing to you anything other than what you read and understand and I hope you will fully understand—14 just as you did partially understand us—that on the day of our Lord Jesus you will boast of us as we will boast of you.
15 Because I was sure of this, I wanted to come to you first, so that you might have a second experience of grace. 16 I wanted to visit you on my way to Macedonia, and to come back to you from Macedonia and have you send me on my way to Judea. 17 Was I vacillating when I wanted to do this? Do I make my plans according to the flesh, ready to say “Yes, yes” and “No, no” at the same time?18 As surely as God is faithful, our word to you has not been Yes and No. 19 For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, whom we proclaimed among you, Silvanus and Timothy and I, was not Yes and No, but in him it is always Yes. 20 For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory. 21 And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, 22 and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.[d]
23 But I call God to witness against me—it was to spare you that I refrained from coming again to Corinth. 24 Not that we lord it over your faith, but we work with you for your joy, for you stand firm in your faith.

Footnotes:

  1. 2 Corinthians 1:5 Or For as the sufferings of Christ abound for us, so also our comfort abounds through Christ
  2. 2 Corinthians 1:8 Or brothers and sisters. In New Testament usage, depending on the context, the plural Greek word adelphoi (translated “brothers”) may refer either to brothersor to brothers and sisters
  3. 2 Corinthians 1:12 Some manuscripts holiness
  4. 2 Corinthians 1:22 Or down payment

Comments

Popular Posts