2 Corinthians 12

Paul's Visions and His Thorn

What does Paul go on doing in verse 1? (verse 1)
Is there anything to be gained by boasting? (verse 1)
What does Paul go on to? (verse 1)
How many years ago, before this letter, was a man in Christ caught up to the third heaven? (verse 2)
Who knows if the man was in the body or out of the body? (verse 2-3)
Can the things the man heard be told? (verse 4)
What will Paul boast of? (verse 5)
Why does Paul refrain from boasting? (verse 6)
Why was a thorn given to Paul in the flesh? (verse 7)
Why would Paul have become conceited? (verse 7)
Who was sent to harass Paul? (verse 7)
How many times did Paul plead with the Lord about the messenger that it would leave him? (verse 8)
What did the Lord say to Paul? (Verse 9)
Why will Paul boast more gladly of his weaknesses? (verse 9)
For whose sake is Paul content with weaknesses? (verse 10)
For whose sake is Paul content with insults? (verse 10)
For whose sake is Paul content with hardships? (verse 10)
For whose sake is Paul content with persecutions? (verse 10)
For whose sake is Paul content with calamities? (verse 10)
When is Paul strong? (verse 10)

Concern for the Corinthian Church

What does Paul say about his current state in verse 11?
What was performed among those in the Corinthian church with utmost patience? (verse 12)
 What was distinctively different about the Corinthian church mentioned in verse 13?
How many times has Paul been ready to come to the Corinthians? (verse 14)
Why will Pau not be a burden? (verse 14)
What does Paul seek? (verse 14)
Are children obligated to save up for their parents? (verse 14)
How will Paul be most gladly spent? (verse 15)
What does the church or Corinth say about Paul? (verse 16)
Who is mentioned in verse 18?
Why has Paul been speaking in Christ? (verse 19)
What does Paul fear that he may find? (verse 20-21)

Interpretation

What does Paul ask the church of Corinth to consider in respect to their concerns about him? (verse 16-19)

Thoughts

I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord. + verse 1

Jeremiah 33:3 

Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known.

Acts 13:2 

While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”

Mark 2:18-20

A Question About Fasting

Now John's disciples and the Pharisees were fasting. And people came and said to him, “Why do John's disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?” And Jesus said to them, “Can the wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them? As long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast. The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast in that day.


Daniel 10:3 

I ate no delicacies, no meat or wine entered my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, for the full three weeks.

Joel 2:12 

Return to the Lord

 “Yet even now,” declares the Lord,
    “return to me with all your heart,
with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning;

Luke 2:37 

and then as a widow until she was eighty-four.[a] She did not depart from the temple, worshiping with fasting and prayer night and day.

Footnotes:

  1. Luke 2:37 Or as a widow for eighty-four years

Psalm 69:10

 When I wept and humbled[a] my soul with fasting,
    it became my reproach.

Footnotes:

  1. Psalm 69:10 Hebrew lacks and humbled


Psalm 35:14-15 

     I went about as though I grieved for my friend or my brother;
as one who laments his mother,
    bowed down in mourning.
 But at my stumbling they rejoiced and gathered;
    they gathered together against me;
wretches whom I did not know
    tore at me without ceasing;


Joel 2:12-13 

Return to the Lord

 “Yet even now,” declares the Lord,
    “return to me with all your heart,
with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning;
     and rend your hearts and not your garments.”
Return to the Lord your God,
    for he is gracious and merciful,
slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love;
    and he relents over disaster.

Acts 13:3

Then after fasting and praying they laid their hands on them and sent them off.


Daniel 9 

Daniel's Prayer for His People

In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, by descent a Mede, who was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans— in the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, perceived in the books the number of years that, according to the word of the Lord to Jeremiah the prophet, must pass before the end of the desolations of Jerusalem, namely, seventy years.
Then I turned my face to the Lord God, seeking him by prayer and pleas for mercy with fasting and sackcloth and ashes. I prayed to the Lord my God and made confession, saying, “O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, we have sinned and done wrong and acted wickedly and rebelled, turning aside from your commandments and rules. We have not listened to your servants the prophets, who spoke in your name to our kings, our princes, and our fathers, and to all the people of the land. To you, O Lord, belongs righteousness, but to us open shame, as at this day, to the men of Judah, to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to all Israel, those who are near and those who are far away, in all the lands to which you have driven them, because of the treachery that they have committed against you. To us, O Lord, belongs open shame, to our kings, to our princes, and to our fathers, because we have sinned against you.To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness, for we have rebelled against him and have not obeyed the voice of the Lord our God by walking in his laws, which he set before us by his servants the prophets. All Israel has transgressed your law and turned aside, refusing to obey your voice. And the curse and oath that are written in the Law of Moses the servant of God have been poured out upon us, because we have sinned against him.  He has confirmed his words, which he spoke against us and against our rulers who ruled us,[a] by bringing upon us a great calamity. For under the whole heaven there has not been done anything like what has been done against Jerusalem. As it is written in the Law of Moses, all this calamity has come upon us; yet we have not entreated the favor of the Lordour God, turning from our iniquities and gaining insight by your truth. Therefore the Lord has kept ready the calamity and has brought it upon us, for the Lord our God is righteous in all the works that he has done, and we have not obeyed his voice. And now, O Lord our God, who brought your people out of the land of Egypt with a mighty hand, and have made a name for yourself, as at this day, we have sinned, we have done wickedly.
 “O Lord, according to all your righteous acts, let your anger and your wrath turn away from your city Jerusalem, your holy hill, because for our sins, and for the iniquities of our fathers, Jerusalem and your people have become a byword among all who are around us.  Now therefore, O our God, listen to the prayer of your servant and to his pleas for mercy, and for your own sake, O Lord,[b] make your face to shine upon your sanctuary, which is desolate.  O my God, incline your ear and hear. Open your eyes and see our desolations, and the city that is called by your name. For we do not present our pleas before you because of our righteousness, but because of your great mercy. O Lord, hear; O Lord, forgive. O Lord, pay attention and act. Delay not, for your own sake, O my God, because your city and your people are called by your name.”

Gabriel Brings an Answer

While I was speaking and praying, confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my plea before the Lord my God for the holy hill of my God, while I was speaking in prayer, the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the first, came to me in swift flight at the time of the evening sacrifice.  He made me understand, speaking with me and saying, “O Daniel, I have now come out to give you insight and understanding.  At the beginning of your pleas for mercy a word went out, and I have come to tell it to you, for you are greatly loved. Therefore consider the word and understand the vision.

The Seventy Weeks

 “Seventy weeks[c] are decreed about your people and your holy city, to finish the transgression, to put an end to sin, and to atone for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal both vision and prophet, and to anoint a most holy place.[d] Know therefore and understand that from the going out of the word to restore and build Jerusalem to the coming of an anointed one, a prince, there shall be seven weeks. Then for sixty-two weeks it shall be built again[e] with squares and moat, but in a troubled time.  And after the sixty-two weeks, an anointed one shall be cut off and shall have nothing. And the people of the prince who is to come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. Its[f] end shall come with a flood, and to the end there shall be war. Desolations are decreed. And he shall make a strong covenant with many for one week,[g] and for half of the week he shall put an end to sacrifice and offering. And on the wing of abominations shall come one who makes desolate, until the decreed end is poured out on the desolator.”

Footnotes:

  1. Daniel 9:12 Or our judges who judged us
  2. Daniel 9:17 Hebrew for the Lord's sake
  3. Daniel 9:24 Or sevens; also twice in verse 25 and once in verse 26
  4. Daniel 9:24 Or thing, or one
  5. Daniel 9:25 Or there shall be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks. It shall be built again
  6. Daniel 9:26 Or His
  7. Daniel 9:27 Or seven; twice in this verse


“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. - verse 9
For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. - verse 10

I will most gladly spend and be spent for your souls. - verse 15

For I fear that perhaps when I come I may find you not as I wish, and that you may find me not as you wish—that perhaps there may be quarreling, jealousy, anger, hostility, slander, gossip, conceit, and disorder.  - verse 20

If Paul came to me, would he find me as he would wish?
Would I be quarreling? 
Would I be jealous? 
Would I be angry? 
Would I be hostile? 
Would I slander anyone?
Would we gossip?
Would I be conceited?
Would we be in disorder?

Luke 18: 1-8

The Parable of the Persistent Widow

And he told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart. He said, “In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor respected man. And there was a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying, ‘Give me justice against my adversary.’ For a while he refused, but afterward he said to himself, ‘Though I neither fear God nor respect man, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will give her justice, so that she will not beat me down by her continual coming.’” And the Lord said, “Hear what the unrighteous judge says. And will not God give justice to his elect, who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long over them? I tell you, he will give justice to them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?”  

I fear that when I come again my God may humble me before you, and I may have to mourn over many of those who sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality, and sensuality that they have practiced. - verse 21 







2 Corinthians 12 English Standard Version (ESV)

Paul's Visions and His Thorn

12 I must go on boasting. Though there is nothing to be gained by it, I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord. I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows. And I know that this man was caught up into paradise—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows— and he heard things that cannot be told, which man may not utter. On behalf of this man I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except of my weaknesses—though if I should wish to boast, I would not be a fool, for I would be speaking the truth; but I refrain from it, so that no one may think more of me than he sees in me or hears from me. So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations,[a] a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Concern for the Corinthian Church

11 I have been a fool! You forced me to it, for I ought to have been commended by you. For I was not at all inferior to these super-apostles, even though I am nothing.12 The signs of a true apostle were performed among you with utmost patience, with signs and wonders and mighty works. 13 For in what were you less favored than the rest of the churches, except that I myself did not burden you? Forgive me this wrong!
14 Here for the third time I am ready to come to you. And I will not be a burden, for I seek not what is yours but you. For children are not obligated to save up for their parents, but parents for their children. 15 I will most gladly spend and be spent for your souls. If I love you more, am I to be loved less? 16 But granting that I myself did not burden you, I was crafty, you say, and got the better of you by deceit.17 Did I take advantage of you through any of those whom I sent to you? 18 I urged Titus to go, and sent the brother with him. Did Titus take advantage of you? Did we not act in the same spirit? Did we not take the same steps?
19 Have you been thinking all along that we have been defending ourselves to you? It is in the sight of God that we have been speaking in Christ, and all for your upbuilding, beloved. 20 For I fear that perhaps when I come I may find you not as I wish, and that you may find me not as you wish—that perhaps there may be quarreling, jealousy, anger, hostility, slander, gossip, conceit, and disorder. 21 I fear that when I come again my God may humble me before you, and I may have to mourn over many of those who sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality, and sensuality that they have practiced.

Footnotes:

  1. 2 Corinthians 12:7 Or hears from me, even because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations. So to keep me from becoming conceited

Comments

Popular Posts