Acts 3
Acts 3English Standard Version (ESV)
The Lame Beggar Healed
Who was going up to the temple? (verse 1)
What had been going on at the temple? (Acts 2:42-47)
What time was it? (Verse 1)
How long had the lame man been lame? (Verse 2)
How was the man being transported? (Verse 2)
Why was the man being laid at the gate of the temple? (Verse 2)
What was the name of the gate? (Verse 2)
Who was to be asked for alms? (Verse 2)
Who did the lame man see? (verse 3)
What did the man ask Peter and John for? (Verse 3)
Who did Peter look at? (Verse 4)
Who did John look at? (Verse 4)
What was said to the man? (Verse 4)
Did the man expect something from Peter and John? (Verse 5)
What did Peter not have? (Verse 6)
What did Peter give? (Verse 6)
In who's name was the man commanded to rise up and walk? (verse 6)
By what hand was the man raised up? (Verse 7)
When were the man's feet and ankles made strong? (Verse 7)
What did the man do in verse 8?
Who was being praised? (Verse 8)
How was the man recognized? (Verse 9-10)
What was the reaction of the people when they recognized the formally-lame man? (Verse 10)
Peter Speaks in Solomon's Portico
Where did they people, Peter, John, and the formally-lame man meet together? (verse 11)
How did Peter address the people? (Verse 12)
What is Peter's first question? (Verse 12)
What misconceptions were in the stares that Peter and John were receiving? (verse 12)
What names are mentioned in verse 13?
What had Pilate decided to do? (verse 13)
Who was denied in the presence of Pilate? (Verse 13)
Who was asked to be granted instead of the Holy and Righteous One? (Verse 14)
Who was killed? (Verse 15)
Who raised the Author of life from the dead? (Verse 15)
What does Peter say about these things in verse 15?
What has made the man strong? (Verse 16)
How has it made the man strong? (Verse 16)
What gave the man perfect health in the presence of all? (Verse 16)
How does Peter address them in verse 17?
How does Peter say they acted? (verse 17)
Who fulfilled what God foretold by the mouth of all the prophets? (verse 18)
What is Peter's conclusion in verse 19?
Why does Peter conclude this way? (verse 20)
What times may come from the presence of the Lord? (Verse 20)
Who may be sent? (verse 20)
When may they be sent? (Verse 19)
How long must heaven receive Jesus? (Verse 21)
Who does Peter quote in verse 22-23?
Who id Moses say The Lord God would raise up? (verse 22)
What did Moses say should be listened to? (Verse 22)
What shall be done to every soul who does not listen to that prophet? (verse 23)
Who is mentioned by name in verse 24?
What was the covenant that God made that was mentioned in verse 25?
How did God bless in verse 26?
Thoughts
What does this have to do with Christmas?
The correlation of John 10 - Luke 2:8-21 - Acts 3 (The Christmas/Feast of Dedication and Solomon's Colonnade)
Our God was born as a man.
Knowing all things, and being made flesh, He came as both a shepherd and a king. From the birth as a fugitive baby to his death as a man whereby he became the Lord of all.
John 10English Standard Version (ESV)
I Am the Good Shepherd
10 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber. 2 But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. 5 A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.” 6 This figure of speech Jesus used with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them.
7 So Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9 I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. 11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. 17 For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”
19 There was again a division among the Jews because of these words. 20 Many of them said, “He has a demon, and is insane; why listen to him?” 21 Others said, “These are not the words of one who is oppressed by a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?”
I and the Father Are One
22 At that time the Feast of Dedication took place at Jerusalem. It was winter,23 and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the colonnade of Solomon. 24 So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” 25 Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, 26 but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me,[a] is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”
31 The Jews picked up stones again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?” 33 The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God.”34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’? 35 If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be broken— 36 do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’? 37 If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; 38 but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.” 39 Again they sought to arrest him, but he escaped from their hands.
40 He went away again across the Jordan to the place where John had been baptizing at first, and there he remained. 41 And many came to him. And they said, “John did no sign, but everything that John said about this man was true.” 42 And many believed in him there.
Footnotes:
- John 10:29 Some manuscripts What my Father has given to me
The Shepherds and the Angels
8 And in the same region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. 9 And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with great fear. 10 And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. 11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. 12 And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.” 13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,
15 When the angels went away from them into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let us go over to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has made known to us.” 16 And they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in a manger. 17 And when they saw it, they made known the saying that had been told them concerning this child. 18 And all who heard it wondered at what the shepherds told them. 19 But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart. 20 And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them.
21 And at the end of eight days, when he was circumcised, he was called Jesus, the name given by the angel before he was conceived in the womb.
Acts 2:13
13 The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified his servant[b] Jesus, whom you delivered over and denied in the presence of Pilate, when he had decided to release him.
http://www.ministrysamples.org/excerpts/I-AM-THE-GOD-OF-ABRAHAM-THE-GOD-OF-ISAAC-AND-THE-GOD-OF-JACOB.HTML
In Biblical the meaning of the name Pilate is: Armed with a dart.
Application
“Men of Israel, why do you wonder at this, or why do you stare at us, as though by our own power or piety we have made him walk?" - Direct all eyes to Jesus Christ, the true source
Acts 3English Standard Version (ESV)
The Lame Beggar Healed
3 Now Peter and John were going up to the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth hour.[a] 2 And a man lame from birth was being carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple that is called the Beautiful Gate to ask alms of those entering the temple. 3 Seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple, he asked to receive alms. 4 And Peter directed his gaze at him, as did John, and said, “Look at us.” 5 And he fixed his attention on them, expecting to receive something from them. 6 But Peter said, “I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!” 7 And he took him by the right hand and raised him up, and immediately his feet and ankles were made strong. 8 And leaping up, he stood and began to walk, and entered the temple with them, walking and leaping and praising God. 9 And all the people saw him walking and praising God, 10 and recognized him as the one who sat at the Beautiful Gate of the temple, asking for alms. And they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.
Peter Speaks in Solomon's Portico
11 While he clung to Peter and John, all the people, utterly astounded, ran together to them in the portico called Solomon's. 12 And when Peter saw it he addressed the people: “Men of Israel, why do you wonder at this, or why do you stare at us, as though by our own power or piety we have made him walk? 13 The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified his servant[b] Jesus, whom you delivered over and denied in the presence of Pilate, when he had decided to release him. 14 But you denied the Holy and Righteous One, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, 15 and you killed the Author of life, whom God raised from the dead. To this we are witnesses. 16 And his name—by faith in his name—has made this man strong whom you see and know, and the faith that is through Jesus[c] has given the man this perfect health in the presence of you all.
17 “And now, brothers, I know that you acted in ignorance, as did also your rulers.18 But what God foretold by the mouth of all the prophets, that his Christ would suffer, he thus fulfilled. 19 Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out, 20 that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus, 21 whom heaven must receive until the time for restoring all the things about which God spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets long ago. 22 Moses said, ‘The Lord God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your brothers. You shall listen to him in whatever he tells you. 23 And it shall be that every soul who does not listen to that prophet shall be destroyed from the people.’ 24 And all the prophets who have spoken, from Samuel and those who came after him, also proclaimed these days. 25 You are the sons of the prophets and of the covenant that God made with your fathers, saying to Abraham, ‘And in your offspring shall all the families of the earth be blessed.’26 God, having raised up his servant, sent him to you first, to bless you by turning every one of you from your wickedness.”
Comments
Post a Comment