James 1 - what is the process of perfection?

First, read James chapter 1,
Bible Gateway

https://amzn.to/3rX1cWe




James 1 Bible Study Questions

How does James refer to himself? (verse 1)
What is our response to be when we meet trials of various kinds? (verse 2)
What does the testing of our faith produce? (verse 3)
Why are we to let steadfastness have its full effect? (verse 4)
If any of us lacks wisdom, who are we to ask for wisdom? (verse 5)
How is one to ask God for wisdom? (verse 5-6)
Who must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord? (verse 6-7)
Who is a double-minded man? (verse 6-8)
What does James say about the lowly brother and the rich? (verse 9-11)
Who is blessed? (verse 12)
What has God promised to those who love him? (verse 12)
Is anyone to say that they are being tempted by God? (verse 13)
When is each person tempted? (verse 14)
When sin is fully grown, what does it bring forth? (verse 15)
Where is every good gift and every perfect gift from? (verse 17)
Does the anger of man produce the righteousness of God? (verse 20)
What are we to put away? (verse 21)
How are we to receive the implanted word? (verse 21)
Who will be blessed in his doing? (verse 22-25)
If someone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue, is his religion worthless? (verse 26)
What is pure and undefiled religion before God the Father? (verse 27)


Interpretation

What is the process of perfection?

How are we to ask God for things?


But let him ask in faithwith no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.
For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; - verse 6-7


What does it look like to ask in faith, without doubting?

How can someone ask and wrongly suppose that he will receive?

What does verse 18 mean?

What does it look like to be quick to hear?

What does it look like to be slow to speak?

What does it look like to be slow to anger?

What does it mean to keep oneself unstained from the world? 






Application

Put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls





Thoughts

Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life. - Proverbs 4:23

At night my soul longs for You, Indeed, my spirit within me seeks You diligently; For when the earth experiences Your judgments The inhabitants of the world learn righteousness. - Isaiah 26:9

Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. - verse 13
 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. - verse 14
Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death. - verse 15

Desire gives birth. 

Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. - Psalm 73:25

As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God; When shall I come and appear before God? - Psalm 42:1-2

O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly; My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You, In a dry and weary land where there is no water. Thus I have seen You in the sanctuary, To see Your power and Your glory. Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, My lips will praise You.
So I will bless You as long as I live; I will lift up my hands in Your name. My soul is satisfied as with marrow and fatness, And my mouth offers praises with joyful lips. When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches, For You have been my help, And in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy. My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me. - Psalm 63:1-8

Now flee from youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. - 2 Timothy 2:22

But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. - 1 Timothy 6:9-10

For I delight in loyalty rather than sacrifice, And in the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings. - Hosea 6:6

But now as for what is inside you--be generous to the poor, and everything will be clean for you. - Luke 11:41

for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. - Matthew 6:21

 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left.  Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers,[f] you did it to me.’
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” - Jesus from Matthew 25:31-46


 Therefore put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.
For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. 
 For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. 
 But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. 
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

Comments

Popular Posts