1 Timothy 1

1 Timothy 1NIV)

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope,
To Timothy my true son in the faith:
Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

Timothy Charged to Oppose False Teachers

As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain people not to teach false doctrines any longer or to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. Such things promote controversial speculations rather than advancing God’s work—which is by faith.The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. Some have departed from these and have turned to meaningless talk. They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.
We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11 that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

The Lord’s Grace to Paul

12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. 13 Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. 17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

The Charge to Timothy Renewed

18 Timothy, my son, I am giving you this command in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by recalling them you may fight the battle well,19 holding on to faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and so have suffered shipwreck with regard to the faith. 20 Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme.




Observation Questions

Who is Paul? (verse 1)
Who is our hope? (verse 1)
Who is this letter to? (verse 2)
How does Paul refer to Timothy? (verse 2)
Who's grace does Paul extend? (verse 2)

Timothy Charged to Oppose False Teachers

Why was Timothy to stay in Ephesus? (verse 3-4)
What things are mentioned as promoting controversial speculations rather than advancing God's work? (verse 4)
How is God's work advanced? (verse 4)
What is the goal of the command given to Timothy? (verse 5)
What comes from a pure heart, a good conscience, and a sincere faith? (verse 5)
What have some departed from? (verse 5)
What have some people turned to? (verse 6)
What did some who want to be teachers of the law not know? (verse 7)
What is good if one uses it properly? (verse 8)
What is the law made for? (verse 9-11)
Who is the law not made for? (verse 9)

The Lord’s Grace to Paul

Who does Paul thank? (verse 12)
Who has given Paul strength? (verse 12)
Who considered Paul trustworthy? (verse 12)
What was Paul, at one time? (verse 13)
Why was Paul shown mercy? (verse 13)
Who's grace was poured out abundantly? (verse 14)
What was also poured out with the grace? (verse 14)
What is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance? (verse 15)
What did Christ Jesus display as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life? (verse 16)
Who does Paul give glory, honor, and the names King eternal, immortal, and invisible to? (verse 16-17)

The Charge to Timothy Renewed

What has Timothy able to recall to fight the battle well? (verse 18)
What is Timothy to hold onto? (verse 19)
How have some suffered shipwreck with regard to the faith? (verse 19)
Who has been handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme? (verse 19-20)

Interpretation
Who is Paul's an Apostle of? (Think about the relationship he has with Jesus)
How is God's work advanced? (verse 4)
What may Timothy recall and be helped to fight the battle well? (verse 18)

Application

Hold fast to a pure heart
a good conscience
and a sincere faith




Thoughts

 The goal of this command is love, 
which comes from a pure heart 
and a good conscience 
and a sincere faith. - verse 5

Psalm 119:9-16
How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
    By living according to your word.
10 I seek you with all my heart;
    do not let me stray from your commands.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
    that I might not sin against you.
12 Praise be to you, Lord;
    teach me your decrees.
13 With my lips I recount
    all the laws that come from your mouth.
14 I rejoice in following your statutes
    as one rejoices in great riches.
15 I meditate on your precepts
    and consider your ways.
16 I delight in your decrees;
    I will not neglect your word.

John 1 The Word Became Flesh

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
There was a man sent from God whose name was John. He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.
The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
(John testified concerning him. He cried out, saying, “This is the one I spoke about when I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’”) Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.

 The goal of this command is love, 
which comes from a pure heart 
and a good conscience 
and a sincere faith. - verse 5
Some have departed from these and have turned to meaningless talk. - verse 6

What if our conversations sounded more like this...

"Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus." - verse 13-14
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. - verse 15

 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. - verse 16

Comments

Popular Posts